hydraulic brake system

Home Forums Tiny House Building Tiny House Trailers hydraulic brake system

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  boots 5 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

boots
    Participant

Hi, does anyone know if it is possible to use a hydraulic brake system like this: http://www.monoway.co.nz/site_files/5087/upload_files/f5098dc46e0993cd87e4e58bb30cb76f.doc?dl=1

for a tiny house. I want to use a remote brake system so any vehicle can move the house. Using a electric system with remote system is expensive at around $1500 which is a lot when the house may only be moved say once a year.

Would love to know what’s others are doing and if this much cheaper system will work. Thanks!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Bryce
    Keymaster

Awesome question Boots!

I’ve never heard of a hydraulic brake system being used for a Tiny House. I can understand why you would want to set it up so that any car can tow it though.

What kind of car do you have now? If you are only looking at moving your house once or twice a year, it may work out cheaper (and a lot easier for you) if you hire a tow vehicle.

Next time I have a chat with Ian I will ask him about the hydraulic brake system though.

Bryce

nzvideoguys
    Participant

From memory, if the trailer and Tiny House weigh more than 2,500kg, then it requires an electric braking system. The hydraulic system is for trailers under 2,500kg.

boots
    Participant

I have looked into this more my self and find this on the nzta site.

2500 – 3500kg
    Direct – this service brake system allows the driver of the towing vehicle to directly control the trailer brakes from the driving position. This includes vacuum-operated brakes and pneumatic over hydraulic systems, controlled directly by the driver of the towing vehicle.

This weight range requires the driver to be able to control the system. Thought that might be the case. Thanks for input.

Kiwi Zane
    Participant

Hi Guys,

I have seen some guys at BNT for a quote on trailer parts etc. They were cautious on giving advice, so I went down to VTNZ. A very helpful guy showed me to the NZTA vehicle inspection requirements manuals (VIRMs) online. https://vehicleinspection.nzta.govt.nz/virms/in-service-wof-and-cof
    You can look at General trailers section, also see attachment on the brakes section.
    I agree Boots, paying that kind of money for an electronic system for the occasional move is OTT. The key is to be sensible an common sense prevail, also making sure we keep within the law (:

Still need to get the quote, told the guys to have a look the “brakes” document and quote accordingly. Hopefully they can make sense of it!

Greetings

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

boots
    Participant

Hi Zane,

I would be very interested on the outcome of the quote when you receive it. I am going to build a tiny house, check out my web site just launched. http://www.weemakechange.co.nz

I am looking for ways the reduce the trailer cost but understand this is the foundations so no cutting corners.

Cheers

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.