Drop axles for a tiny house trailer?

Home Forums Tiny House Building Drop axles for a tiny house trailer?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  CJ 2 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

CJ
    Participant

Has anybody used or considered using drop axles on their trailer to gain some extra internal headroom? What are the problems?

cinci-hal
    Participant

I have the same question. Just posted it a few seconds ago before I saw this. I’m concerned about the leaf spring suspension system and axles being too low to the ground and getting damaged in a pot hole or getting stuck in soft ground. I was looking at the Iron Eagle trailers, but I’m not sure yet if they offer drop axles. Did you happen to find out any information on your question?

CJ
    Participant

Maybe worth looking at for you in the U.S. as you use bigger heavier trailers with larger wheel diameters that raise your floor height further. We have to build lighter as our max. weight limit is 3500kg/7716lbs in New Zealand or 4500kg/9920lbs in Australia so with the smaller wheels we use we can get down to a flat floor height at the top of the trailer frame around 500-550mm/20-22″ without having wheel wells protruding through the floor. Of course using drop axles can mean your wheel wells will protrude even further. We also get to build slightly taller 14′ trailers than your 13’6″ limit.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.